Thursday, January 27, 2011

Feeling dismembered?

I journaled this in October 2010. I thought it was worth posting because of the importance of being connected to a local body of Christ.


Last January Steve and I began to entertain the idea that God might be calling us to work in a new church setting in South Florida.

Saying good-bye to all of our friends in Chattanooga was a most painful experience. My heart was broken multiple times as I spent evenings with my close friends at the end of my stay. As I parted from these dear ones, I began to notice that parts of me seemed to be staying behind with them. I haven't felt like a whole person here in Fort Lauderdale. At first I worried that this was an indication of severe mental strain and it may be, however, I've also pondered the Body of Christ concept as a possible explanation. When we become a part of the body of Christ it is both a macro and a micro experience. Yes, I am still a part of the global body of Christ, but I am leaving the local body of Christ on Signal Mountain and joining a different body here in South Florida. It's no wonder that I feel incomplete. Let's say, metaphorically speaking, that I am a little toe in the body of Christ at Signal. Well, golly gee, here I am in South Florida feeling very much like a little toe who is missing the rest of its body. I suppose the message I am sending myself is that I need to connect with the local body of Christ here and I am definitely asking God where and how he wants me to connect and serve. Building relationships and becoming integrated in the body of Christ here will take time. It seems like the answer to all of my concerns now is patience.

More about patience or my lack of it at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment